Christmas Breakfast

It's just around the corner!  Five more days and my kids will amazingly wake up before mom and dad, urging us to get down stairs so we can open presents!  I LOVE Christmas morning.  I LOVE seeing the kids so excited.  I LOVE watching them tear into their gifts and exclaim their thankfulness with big smiles.  I LOVE how my husband reads Luke 2 to all of us just after making me a hot cup of coffee, perfectly sprinkled with a little bit of cinnamon in the grounds.  I also LOVE how my husband and I always promise we won't purchase gifts for each other, but we always end up getting a little something to "surprise" the other.  It's Christmas morning, and once the gifts are opened and the excitement simmers down, everyone's hungry!  Who wants to cook breakfast? 


I'm perfectly fine with just a cup of coffee and some toast, but that's just not going to cut it with the rest of Lewisville. We think big and like big, hearty breakfast for special occasions.  The breakfast faves here are French toast and omelets, so this year, I've decided to fulfill everyone's morning cravings by making their breakfast....the night before.

I made these breakfast dishes a few weeks ago for a Christmas party and they turned out great!  The best part about these dishes, besides being oh so tasty, they can be made the night before. That means you can just pop them in the oven for Christmas morning.  The "I don't want to make breakfast" dilemma is solved!

Casserole 1.
Cinnamon Baked French Toast by the Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

  • FOR THE FRENCH TOAST:
  • 1 loaf Crusty Sourdough Or French Bread  (Don't use sandwich bread.  I used 1.5lb loaf of sourdough)
  • 8 whole Eggs
  • 2 cups Whole Milk
  • 1/2 cup Whipping (heavy) Cream
  • 3/4 cups Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
  • FOR THE TOPPING:
  • 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1/2 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 pinch Nutmeg - Optional
  • 1 stick Cold Butter, Cut Into Pieces
* It's pretty simple.  Butter a 9X13 pan or casserole dish.  Tear the bread into bite sized pieces.  Mix your eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla.  Pour it onto the bread evenly.  Cover it and set it in your fridge. 
Mix your dry topping ingredients and then use a pastry cutter (or two knives like I always do) to work the butter in.  Set it in a baggie to sprinkle on top of the bread in the morning before baking.

Bake at 350 for 45mins to 1 hr.  (45mins. for softer, bread like pudding).  Top it off with hot syrup when it's done!

Casserole 2.
Egg omelet with the works!

There are so many egg dishes out there so I just added all the things I know my family would like.  Look through the ingredients to add and delete what you know your family would enjoy.

Ingredients:
10-12 eggs
1 lb. breakfast sausage
1 24oz package of hash browns or potatoes (cooked, but I didn't add them in the above picture)
1 cup sour cream
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
16 oz. mushrooms
Spinach
1 can Ortega mild green chilies
2 cups grated cheese
I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, but remember to add and subtract.  I added spinach to my omelet and took out the mushrooms because Lewisville wouldn't touch it if they saw mushrooms.  If you don't want to add sour cream, add milk or cream instead. 
Follow the directions on the package to cook your potatoes to desired crispy-ness. 
In a separate pan, cook your sausage, onion, and peppers together.  (Season with salt and pepper to taste).  Add mushrooms and chilies to cook for a few minutes. Add spinach if desired until spinach is wilted. 
Grease a 9X13 pan.  Add sausage mixture then the potatoes on top.  Sprinkle in the cheese and mix well.  Cover and set in the fridge over night.
In the morning, whisk your eggs in a bowl.  Add the cream or milk.  Pour over the sausage and potatoes.  Bake at 350 for 35-45mins.  It's done when an inserted knife comes out clean.
Add biscuits or rolls.  Make it easy for yourself.

Our other favorite is to have hot chocolate Christmas morning.  Set out the goods the night before (except for the whip cream of course)  and the kids will be glowing when they see it in the morning. 

May you have a stress free, wonderful Christmas breakfast with your family!

Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
A Stroll Thru Life

Fluster Buster
Posed Perfection
 
 

Comments

  1. I must be dreaming. I thought I commented on this last night. LOL. I was probably blogging while I'd was asleep!

    Love this.

    Merry Christmas,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment