T.V. trays become Chess board & Art piece

So after years of using t.v. trays for the kids art tables, side tables, computer tables, oh and eating occasionally, I decided to paint them.  When I told Mr. Lewisville of my plans, he thought I should stain them.  I've been wanting to practice my staining technique for another project that's sitting in my garage, so I thought a smaller staining project would be perfect.  My thought was I could get this done in 1day. ONE.  Ha ha.  One day.  When, do I ask, do staining projects take ONE day. 
Certainly not in Lewisville.



Not One day, but I really like the way they came out!

These tables were really, really dirty.

And they had some "artistic" touches that my munchkins left behind.



My kids love to paint, draw, paint, use markers, paint.  You get the picture.


I used my sander and got down to business.


Then some touch up sanding, of course.


I used a these products to condition the wood, waited about an hour, then stained it in Dark Walnut.




Conditioning the wood gives an even coat when you stain.  Some woods really drink in the paint and stain, so conditioning helps prevent blotchy spots.  Important step- don't skip.



I used these cheapy throw away sponge brushes.





Then I was all done.  Sort of.


When I was all done staining the trays, I thought I would step back to admire my work.  I did in fact step back, looked at those trays, and said, "YUCK"!  Nope, I didn't like them at all!  Annoyed. Frustrated.  Thinking of the time I wasted. Argh. 


I gave it a day hoping inspiration would come.  I don't give up easily.  I thought about starting over or at the very least painting over it with some bright color.  Then I thought I'd just have a little fun.  Let's put on some kind of pattern...without buying a stencil.  Bright Light...Cue heavenly music....Argyles? Harlequin!  Sure, why not.

Enter Blue painters tape.


I measured 2 inches apart (1 strip of tape).  Add spray paint.  I used my all time favorite- Rust-Oleum's Heirloom White.



By the way, I used 2in. tape.  Place the tape over the white diamonds to get the argyle pattern.


Spray again. La de da....


And I decided to spray the legs of the tray too.  Why not?


Table 1.  Voila!


You know what?  I really like the way it turned out.  And you know what?  I really need to get those sprinklers turned on!  Later. 
Then I had the "BRILLIANT" idea to make a chess table for my kids.  They love to play chess and I thought it would be a fun and cool thing for them to have.  It wasn't fun though.  It took me about an hour to measure and cut the tape. 


My chess board was going to be 14 in x 14 in.  The problem was that my tape was to wide, so in order to fit 8 rows square, I had to use 1 3/4 in.wide strips, which meant I'd have to measure and cut 1/4 inch off my 2inch tape. 



Then like table 1, cover the white squares and spray again.

This table gave me a lot of trouble.  I had to do touch-ups with a small paint brush.  The details of staying withing the lines was a little difficult and time consuming.  In the end, I decided to keep most of the table dark.  It gives it a different look, but I like it also.


Both of the tables will get a coat of Polycrylic to protect the work and time I spent on them.  I thought this project would take me only ONE day.  3 days later.....they came out alright I think.  Yeah for mistakes!



Have a great weekend everyone.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll finally get those dining room chairs done! MAYBE.

Blessings,
Lisa


 I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:

The Shabby Creek Cottage 
Common Ground 
The Charm of Home 
Funky Junk Interiors 
Between Naps on the Porch 
Coastal Charm
Tip Junkie
Savvy Southern Style

Comments

  1. Fantastic tables! I love argyle, harlequin, and checkerboard patterns. I've been on the lookout for some wood tv trays ever since I turned down some for free from my nephew...duh! I could kick myself. Yours turned out great!

    Have a lovely week!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out amazing!! I may have to whip out my ugly TV trays and give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to take second look I just purchased a set of these for $10 and have painted them all black and getting ready to stencil something on the top great minds think and create alike what are you doing with the holder? I was thinking of making a sign a welcome one maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very cute idea. I'm going to be looking for some TV trays at yard sales this summer. I'm your newest follower. I hope you will come check out my blog and follow me back. http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute. makes me want to have TV trays. much better than the ones i remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look wonderful! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute Lisa!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful!! Totally loving this! We hope to see you back next week to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks for coming!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, these are fantastic. It looks like it was a lot of work but what a wonderful finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, yes yes! I agree, they just weren't doing it for me - until you added the designs!!!! Wowzers, now I'm in love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Resourcefulness, convenience, and ingenuity – all checked! *baring teeth smile* I was truly amazed at the sight of it. Definitely a product of a creative mind. This will reduce the time spent on the preparation to play chess, and so is the risk of cheating. ;D With this table/chess board, you can better secure the pieces. It must be very thrilling to use that for the first time.

    Esmeralda Tabarez

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing idea, those looks wonderfull. you did a great job.Brown TV Bed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment