How to Paint a Lamp

I know it seems like all I'm doing is painting these days, but there's a reason for that.  Since I live in the Mile High area, I can't usually paint during the cold winters.  Warmer weathers means it's time to get those paint projects all done.  And so, that's just what I'm doing- painting to my heart's content!
Today, I'm going to show you how I painted a set of '80s brass lamps from the thrift store, but first, let me just show you how great they turned out!



 Would you ever guess this was an old lamp?   I think it looks just as good as anything you'd find in a number of stores.  This is what they looked like before.... brace yourself.




Are we back in the '80s yet?  They're pretty "Rad," right? I know gold is making a comeback, but these were just the wrong shade of gold.  Pretty, yes-in a way, but I needed lamps that would brighten up my space a bit more.  My room is dark, so these $5 lamps were going to be painted white.

 I cleaned them up really good, making sure there wasn't a bit of dust left on them.  Then I taped off the tops and cords and used a spray primer.

 I LOVE spray paint projects.  They're so easy and super quick, but still, I find myself impatiently waiting for the paint to dry.  It takes a whopping 20 minutes to dry! Hurry, hurry, hurry!


Next, I spray painted the lamps with my favorite white called heirloom white from Rust-0leum

 I've spray painted lamps before, and this is usually where I've stopped the project, incorrectly thinking it was complete.  Last year, I sprayed a lamp for my son's room, but it started getting dull and chipping after a while.  I've learned since then, spray painted lamps like this must be protected. 


 This CLEAR coat not only protects the paint, but it makes it shine like a brand new lamp.  LOVE!


Primered- Spray Painted- Protected

 And the room is on it's way to a "brighter" future.

 The lamp shade, by the way, will also be getting a make over.


And, yes, my $5 lamps do work.  Love, Love, Love!


Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Fluster Buste

Labels: