The Nightly Routine for smooth mornings!

Hi there, friends.  Today I wanted to talk a little bit about the morning routine.  Well, when it comes down to it, I'm really going to talk about my Nightly Routine, but bear with me.  For years, I lived without routine.  I told myself routines meant the absence of spontaneity  and a carefree spirit.  I didn't want to be bogged down by routine.  Routines were for older people or overly organized, tightly wound people.  I didn't want to fall into those categories, so I fought it. No way!  Not for me!  Oh, how I wish I knew the truth, because in truth, a routine would have been a saving grace for me years ago as a busy  stay at home mom with three little ones running around.  Back then, I didn't know the true benefits of having a routine.  Today, I am much older (eek) but wiser (mostly) and a Nightly routine has been a happy part of Lewisville.


My morning routine really starts the night before.  I'm going to admit something that's rather embarrassing, but remember older and wiser now.. ... Older and wiser....  Here it goes.  I never did dishes at night.  The dinner dishes sat overnight in the sink.  The leftover food was put away and the cooking mess was picked up, but that was the extent of my after dinner cleaning.  I'd wake up the next morning to make coffee and YIKES there it was!  The mess from the night before.  Waking up to a mess dictates the rest of your day and if it's among the first things you see  in the morning, it can be depressing, a bit overwhelming, and you feel behind the rest of your day.  I knew things had to change, but I was stuck in a rut, a negative routine of my own.




I read about Melissa's morning routine and it really helped me establish my own.  The problem was that I didn't have a regular nightly routine to set the morning in the right direction.  I had set up routines for the kids- baths, brush teeth, set clothes out for the next day, read, pray, then bedtime.  I missed the element of incorporating a routine for myself.  So here it is, my nightly routine that makes my morning routine go smooth.


After dinner:  
Leftovers are stored and put away.


Dishes are rinsed and put into the dishwasher.  I wash my pots and pans by hand and they air dry on the counter overnight.  They're the only things left on the counters/stove.


The stove is cleaned and wiped, not a deep clean like in this post, just wiping down the glass and making it clean enough to cook the next morning.



Kitchen counters are cleaned and wiped.


The dinner table is cleaned and wiped.

The floor is swept.


            My kids are 9, 11, and 13 so they all have their part in cleaning the kitchen after dinner.  It's part of their chores and they are a huge help.  To see their chore chart you can go here.

The one missing element in this routine that I'm trying to incorporate is to clean and polish the sink.  I don't do that nightly, but I'm seeing the need to make this part of the routine now.  It took me a while to fully integrate this routine for Lewisville, but now if we all work together,  it takes us about 10-15 minutes.  If I do it myself, which I have because I'm Mom and that's just what happens sometimes, it takes me about 25 minutes.  Somedays, I don't sweep and that's ok.

My morning are so much easier now.  I wake up to make coffee and I feel ahead of the game because the kitchen is ready and open for business!  If you don't have a routine or have tried and failed before, take heart. I've been there and I know it's hard to establish one after years of doing my own thing.   I strongly encourage you to set one up and try again.  The popular belief is that it take 21 days to form a good habit.  It might have been longer for me, but eventually, we got. 

Hope this post was encouraging and helpful.

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Comments

  1. Thanks for this post! I think I will change some things around in my routines. I found your post on Our Delightful Home Link Party.
    Maria
    Krafty Cards etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great routine. I don't do the sweeping the floor daily, though I think that sounds like a great idea. I do love starting the day with a clean sink. You are right, it makes things seems so much nicer for starting the day.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally right! I feel so much better in the morning when I come downstairs and everything is in its place! Wonderful tips. I popped over from Home Stories A to Z--thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With you on this - dishwasher is the absolute must in my house, Alice Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great routine. Starting afresh each morning with things put away the night before not only helps you but everyone around you. They all feel refreshed. So I call on God for that extra ounce of energy needed to put things away. My habit is to make a mess - and leave it - I am learning that does not work.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Blessings
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Janice. I've had to take a long look at my routines (good and bad) to see what needs to change and what's best for us as a family. It takes time, but we'll get there.
      Blessings

      Delete
  6. Thank you lisa! I needed this post! As I type this I realize that still, in the middle of the afternoon, I have dishes in my sink. We also don't have a dishwasher, so I think that's part of the issue. Dishes are such a chore to clean and it never feels like I ever get them all done and put away before more end up in the sink. But, you've inspired me to try to be better at doing this, because you're right it does not help to wake up the next morning to see a giant mess before I've even had breakfast.

    Brittany @ vitadibella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Brittany. And trust me, the kids and I are home all day (home school) so there are always dishes to be done. Waking up to a clean kitchen though feels so much better than waking up to our mess.
      Blessings

      Delete
  7. I try to do this, also. We work odd schedules, though, and it's not always easy to keep the routine up. lol A messy kitchen drives me CRAZY!!! And I can not cook in a dirty kitchen! (Visiting from ABFOL Link up!) -Christa @ www.MomPaperScissors.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is how I'd love my nights to be. Mostly, it's just a scramble to get Hubby to help and myself and the kids ready to bed! This is the goal, though - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, trust me, when the kids were little, it was so much harder to get the dishes done. I preferred doing dishes while my hubby got the kids ready for bed, but sometimes we'd switch off. Do what works for you and your family. Enjoy your little ones.
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  9. I hate waking up to a sink full of dishes! My husband is in charge of the dishes but usually does them after breakfast, maybe he needs to read this post. Visiting from real family Fun!
    http://laurensham.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're doing just fine if hubby is in charge of dishes! lol.
      Blessings

      Delete
  10. Very helpful post. That nightly routine really helps with the getting out the door in the morning school rush! I try to set my clothes out the night before too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I struggle with this exact thing so much. I get on a roll of cleaning the kitchen each night and then something happens and I miss one night, get behind, and it downward spirals from there. Next thing I know I've got several days of dirties piled up all over the kitchen and it takes me half a day to get it back into shape! Thanks for the reminder.

    Found you on Somewhat Simple Blog Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I try to do this every evening as well, but some days are better than others lol. Have a great weekend :)
    She Turned Her Dreams Into Plans

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so blissfully lovely when the children are old enough to start helping with those after dinner routines! *sigh* Oh, these are the good ol' days we'll be talking about someday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this would inspire my MOPS mom friends. It certainly inspires me! I think this would be a great fit for Family Fun Friday if you have time and want to link up. :-)
    Monica

    http://happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too needed routines. I found fly-lady online and she gives you daily routines and it does make my life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought I was the only one with dishes in the sink @ night. I need to establish a routine. Thanks for your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the reminder! I got "busy" over the last two weeks and the house looks like a tornado came through! I needed a good reminder on how to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your Nightly Routine (& 5-minute morning) suggestion. I was never taught how to set up routines, so I never did. As you can imagine, this creates a chaotic home and life in general. Now that I'm a married woman, its doubly painful. We have no children yet, so that helps, but I found that living with a man makes life dirtier than living by myself.
    I did your Nightly Routine last night and even went so far as to clean the cabinet fronts. My kitchen was so lovely when I got up this morning, I beamed. Hubby was more relaxed too. Thank you for the inspiration and motivation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I'm so glad this helped. It makes such a big difference for us too.
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete

Post a Comment