Country to Classic Black Bookcase

Hello, friends.  Can I tell you a story?  A while ago, I bought a bookcase from the Goodwill wanting to make it a hutch for the kitchen.  I saw it there and immediately had all these great ideas for it.   I thought it would look great in white and stand perfectly fixed on a particular wall in the kitchen (the wall below).  It would  display dishes, vases;  you know, all that kind of stuff.  When I brought it home though, I realized it covered the only light switch in the kitchen.  Now I had the problem of what to do with it, but in this house, that didn't last long.  She has been renewed!
 She became this little beauty instead.


 She went from country to a classic black bookcase.  Mr Lewisville reminded me we could always use yet another bookcase and in all honesty, I love the way she looks here.  She had quite a transformation.


 The country bookcase is nice, but I like classic looks.  Since I couldn't use it here in my kitchen (pesky light switch is right behind there) I decided to paint it and replace the laughable bookcase that was presently taking up space in the living room- you'll see.


So here's the transformation process if you're looking to venture out and do the same for your home.  I took off all the hardware and placed  it all in a zip bag so I wouldn't  loose any of the pieces when I was ready to put it all back together.   If you need to, take a picture so you remember how the hardware screws in when your project is done.



 This is a laminate bookcase so I followed the same step from my post Can You Paint Laminate? Oh Yes!
I brushed on Zinsser primer which took forever.  If I had to do it all over again, I would spray primer this piece from the first coat.  Zinsser does make a great spray primer.

But here she is with her first coat of primer.  I didn't sand the piece at all by the way.  Just wiped the bookcase clean and brushed on the first coat.


 For the second coat of primer, I got smart and just spray painted grey primer.  So much easier and faster.
 I decided to use the same black paint I always use for projects.  I like Rust-Oleum black in semi gloss, mainly because you can get the exact color in the spray can.  I like spraypainting doors and legs for projects rather than using a brush, and there are so many shades of black, it's easy to mismatch.


The bookcase got two coats of this semi-gloss black.  By the way, I didn't have a paint tray liner, so I just used foil instead.  Works wonderfully.

By the way, I'll have a little post about different paint techniques I used on this project next week.  If you're not sure how to paint or what to use, or have questions, make sure you read this up coming post.

To give the bookcase a little pop, I decided to paint the back a different color.  I tried grey first, but it really didn't stand out.  I thought about using white, but that seemed to simple.  I decided to paint the back Grenadier Green which is the same color I used for this thrift store dresser. 


Pop. Pop. Pop.  I like it!

Mean while, I spray painted the doors.

And when everything was nice and dry, I started putting her back together- minus that bottom shelf.  My son thought this would be a perfect case to store his lego ships.  He really, really wanted it in his room.

 But this bookcase was meant (now) to replace the sorry bookcase we had in the living room next to hubby's chair.  It's a sorry bookcase I know, and it definitely needed to be replaced.


 But now the "sorry" bookcase might make a great lego shelf...????

 I wasn't sure about putting the doors back on because that green just looks so good.


 In the end, Mr. Lewisville likes the doors and they were put back on the case.


And we quickly filled it with his study books.

Big difference, don't you think?  We could use at least one more book case just like this, so I'll be on the look out now for another.  For now, we LOVE the results!



Blessings,
Lisa 
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Comments

  1. Great job on it, turned out so neat and I love the green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great transformation. It always amazes me what a little paint can do. You did a lovey job, I am sure it was a lot of work.

    xoxo Michelle thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing transformation. The black is so beautiful, looks fabulous. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fresh! Love it! Stopping by from Between Naps on the Porch! Hope you'll stop by too!
    Chris
    Frecklefaceathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation, looks like it was a pretty easy project too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! it looks so much better in black; great job! a very nice transformation! :-)
    glad to have stopped by from a bowl full of lemons party today!
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so torn because I love the look of the wood but I love things in black as well. Great job! I like the different background color....gives it a little something extra ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The black paint made this piece look so different. I'm loving the black. Thanks for coming by and partying with us. Have a funtastic week!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! the taller bookcase makes the room appear much taller....and I am soooo with you on the spray paint. It may be a tad more expensive then buy a can, but it is wayyyyyy faster and who wants to spend 2 days painting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I like that you did the back of the cupboard a different color! Stopping by from www.prairiegirl4-thatcountryplace.blogspot.ca

    Have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned a lot! I never knew you can paint laminate and I love reading it! I came from the linky Tuesday party!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! It is so pretty and classic - just like you said! Love it! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, stopping by from MMS Furniture link party. The bookcase turned out great. It looks like a more expensive and updated piece now. The green backing was a good idea and the doors do look good back on. I think it is always nice to have a bit of hidden storage too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I host a weekly link party called "Seasonal Sundays". This week, in honor of my fourth blog-a-versary, I'm having a giveaway of a $100.00 gift certificate to HomeGoods/TJ Maxx. I'd love to have you join the fun!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Wow! Great transformation! I love the look of the black and with the doors. It looks fantastic. Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out wonderful! I didn't know you could paint laminate, and I didn't know you could do it w/o sanding! You've pushed me a little closer to a re-do of my own. ;)

    I saw you linked up at JUST DIP IT IN CHOCOLATE and came to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great project! Glad that I'm not the only one whose projects have to go to plan B and even C and D or beyond! Love the black and green combination that makes it look high end and complements the leather chair beautifully. The height looks good, too Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great results! I love what you did - the black works so well!
    Thanks for sharing at the party!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a beautiful transformation. It's hard to believe it's the same bookcase, actually, even though I can see it is. But the colors! Wow! The lines of your bookcase are very classic and giving it the black outer coating just brought it to life. Using the "green" color inside was sheer genius. That corner by hubby's chair now looks perfectly balanced, and what a wonderful spot to put his study books. Some thrifted pottery, perhaps repainted in fantastical finishes to go with your current color scheme in your room, would add some drama on top of the bookcase, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment