What to do with those Christmas cookie tins?

Well, hello! hello!  I'm back from my little Christmas/New Year vacation.  I didn't go anywhere; I just decided the holiday season calls for hanging time with my family, so that's just what I did.  It was great.  Next week, we are back to our normal (home)school schedule, and I should be back to my normal blogging schedule.  As I grow older, I've come to appreciate those schedules.

Today, I wanted to share something practical.  It has to do with all those plastic cookie tins we get during the holidays.  Did you get any of those?  I did.  And I did last year too.  They sit in the pantry holding my holiday and special occasion baking supplies.  This year, I decided to do something about them, meaning put my own little twist on them.  Want to see?


Can you believe these are plastic cookie tins?  They used to look like this.




Transforming them was super-duper easy, but I must warn you.  Your kids may not be to happy with you if you decide to change them.  My son didn't care for my "up-cycle". I understand.  The snowmen have happy smiles.


 I used two can of spray paint- primer and my favorite metallic finish by Rust Oleum.


Set the lid and base upside down, and spray paint the primer evenly over them.   Be patient, let it dry, and if you need a second coat, take the time to do it.  I did end up using two coats of primer and just one coat of metallic finish.  I decided not to paint the base a different color, just left the primer on as is, but that options is up to you and your own taste.


You can see the inside of my tins are their normal, plastic, red selves.


 Let it dry for at least 24 hours before you use them, and don't set anything on them until they are completely dry.  I made that mistake with one of them.


I LOVE the way they turned out, and they are going to look great in the pantry I'm working on reorganizing and revealing to you all soon.


So what do you  think?  It's an easy transformation that has a big impact, don't you think? You can spray paint them any color to match your own needs/decor, just make sure you use primer.  Primer is the key!
I hope you found this helpful and something you can implement in your own home.

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie

Comments

  1. Wow. They look great! I have that metallic spray and those plastic tubs too! Hum? Now I just need some energy. I do love them!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen.
      They're really easy to transform. The colors and possibilities are endless. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. This is a seriously good idea - we end up with some many of these. I saw them on Flamingo Toes. Would love for you to share on Thursdays Treasures http://fooddonelight.com/thursdays-treasures-week-67/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea--I have one or two kicking around my pantry, so will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, i have to go digging through my trash now, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the transformation! What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good idea! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. I just love simple transformations like this! And welcome new followers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous project...I'd love for you to link up at Project Pinterest this week!

    http://www.oldbackporch.com/2013/01/project-pinterest-week-1.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  9. So smart!! Now they can be used for anything! I love spray paint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I've been saving my old tins with the intention of updating them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Your post has inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tins turned out awesome! Pinned them:) New follower. Follow me too http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/diy-dollar-hats.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Lisa, this is a great idea.

    I'm having a GOOGLE + Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and link up your Google +. If you don't have Google + it's ok, come link up your blog or favorite post.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/google-social-hop.html


    I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week beginning in January. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-for-pinners.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisa,
    this is such a pretty idea, i think i am going to try that also!
    Thank you very much for sharing.
    love from Germany
    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple yet so effective! Loved how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great! I am impressed the the sheen of the metallic paint. I have not been able to find a good silver metallic chrome paint. The one you used may be the best one so far.

    Does the paint seem to adhere to the plastic well enough for everyday use?

    I bet your pantry will look amazing! :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, I have bought several "metallic" spray paints, but this one was recommended to me by the sales associate at Home Depot. It's now my favorite of all metallic spray paint. It does adhere well to the plastic, but only if I use primer. That really is the key. Hope that helps.
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  16. After seeing this I had a total "duh" moment! This is such a simple and easy idea that I can't believe I haven't heard of it sooner! So smart and resourceful! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for mentioning that you had to use a primer first! My only question was going to be "How does well does the spray paint stick"

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really great idea for these containers! I have so many of them and can't use them because they are Christmas themed! I have a new Pinterst Power linky party and would love to have you share this and any other projects you have!

    http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2013/01/10/pinterest-power-party-1.html

    Chrissy
    http://www.thetaylor-house.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant! What a great idea... I'm featuring your paint project in the PoPP Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible!! I love this idea - I have two just laying around - I'm totally trying this! Thanks for such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! I transformed very similar plastic tubs using Mod Podge and scrapbook paper this year. Love how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
    Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Thanks again.http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-html

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's so nice how you made them so you can use them year round. Can't wait to see your organization ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lisa they look great!!! I'm not sure if it's the same where you are but here in the UK we usually have big metal chocolate tins during the holiday season and I have a few of those from previous years(I'm kind of a container hoarder ;O). That's my weekend sorted then: spray painting tins!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have a great eye for reusing those! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! That is a great idea. I just saw a ton of these on clearance for less than $1. Now I wish I would have bought some, because yours look adorable. And you can never have too many storage containers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome! Would love to try this for our compost bucket that we keep in our kitchen. Too cold to paint right now, but I'm keeping it in mind. Loved my visit to your wonderful blog.

    Warmly, Michelle
    Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now that is an awesome pantry. I've never seen that brand of almonds here, but I can get pretzels in clear plastic containers like that. I love how organized and cohesive everything looks. I'd love it if you linked this to my new linky party, "What We've Accomplished Wednesdays."

    Have a great weekend!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved how you so easily transformed the containers. I too have some of those 'seasonal' containers, it would be GREAT to be able to use them throughout the year. Looks like all other comments basically felt the same, yet no one asked the one question. After you spray paint them how do they stand up to dishwashing??Does putting them in the fridge harm them?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment