Tips and Tricks Tuesday

Hello all!  We are getting back to a normal routine here in Lewisville.  We've had the last few weeks off of school, and we loved every minute of it.  Yesterday, the kids returned to their studies, and since I'm the home school teacher, I returned to work.  Is it too early to say I can't wait for summer vacation????
So since we are back to normal, relatively speaking of course, we're continuing on with our Tips and Tricks Tuesdays.  If you're new here, welcome! On Tuesday I like to share a few things I found on Pinterest that might be of interest to you and hopefully help you out in your own homes.

Do you like the new Tips and Tricks logo?


Today, I thought I'd go over some great uses for one of my favorite cleaning products- Baking Soda.  I buy a huge bag of it from Costco about 2-3 times a year.  Baking soda is such a great cleaning agent.  I use it all over my home because I hate using chemical cleaners.  Here are the top ways I use Baking soda for pennies in my cleaning routine and other areas.


 Tip 1.  Sprinkle baking soda over your mattress.  Let sit for at least an hour then use a vacuum hose to collect it from the mattress.  It gets rid of dust mites and sanitizes the mattress.  This baking soda method should be done every 3-4 months.


Tip 2.  Add a cupful of baking soda to your toilet and leave it in for 1 hour.  It will help sanitize, clean, and eliminate odor.  I scrub lightly before flushing it down the toilet and always love the results.  I also use baking soda around the house, sinks and counters, instead of those powder scrub cleaners.



Tip. 3.  Teeth whitener and facial cleanser.  Yes, I'm sure this is how they did it in the days before we were introduced and encouraged to buy all those name brands.  As a safe teeth whitener, and who doesn't love white teeth, baking soda is a common ingredient.  Here are a few recipes you can try:
      Recipe 1.  Mix 1tsp of baking soda, 1/2 tsp of water, and a small amount of your own toothpaste.  Brush your teeth with the mixture for 2 minutes just once a week.  When you achieve your white teeth, just use this recipe once a month.
      Recipe 2.  Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with a few drop of hydrogen peroxide, just enough to form a paste.  Brush your teeth, not gums or lips, with the paste and let it sit on them for a few minutes.  Rinse thoroughly and repeat daily until you see the results.
      Recipe 3.  Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with lemon juice squeezed from a lemon.  It will bubble because of the acid in the lemon.  Apply the mixture with a q-tip and leave it on your teeth for a minute.  Brush you teeth after a minute just like normal.


Tip 4.  Here's another use for baking soda that I've enjoyed doing.  After cleaning your face with your everyday cleanser, use baking soda for a microderm facial.  Mix 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water to make a thick paste.  Apply in a circular motion.  The directions for this are actually on every box of A&H baking soda, and it does really soften your face.
To get rid of black heads, mix a tablespoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of salt to a gel facial wash.  Apply to damp skin and leave it on for 5 minutes.

Tip 5.  All the other uses.  There are so many uses for baking soda that I can't even put them all into one post.  But here are a few of my other favorites that I've tried and believe work wonderfully.
  1. Use as an antacid or for heartburn.  Mix 1/2 cup of water with a teaspoon of baking soda and drink. If you gargle with the same mixture, it will get rid of stinky breath.

  2.  Deoderizer.  Sprinkle liberally in a smelly trash can or leave a box open in a smelly refrigerator.  It can also be used as an underarm deodorant, in shoes as a foot deodorant, or in ashtrays and carpet.


  3.  Relief from insect bites, burns, bee stings and other skin irritations.  Most of these require making a         paste with the baking soda out of water and applying it for various lengths of time.  For others, simply take a warm bath with a cup of baking soda. To find the exact methods, click HERE for burns, HERE for bites and stings.

  4.  Clean burned pans and baking dishes.  1/4 baking soda with enough hydrogen peroxide to make a
 paste.  Apply it to your burned pans and let it sit for hours.  Most burns will come up easily.

  5.  Molding clay.  This is for all the kids out there.  Mix 2 cups of baking soda, with one cup of cornstarch.  add 1 1/2 cups of water and cook on the stove until thickened.  Let it cool, then knead it until smooth.  Mold it into your favorite shapes or use cookie cutters.  Drying and hardening may take up to two day.  Have fun!

There are so many more uses, especially when it comes to cleaning.  I prefer using natural cleaning methods using ingredients like baking soda.  I know it's better for me and my family.  Now you can see how I go through a 13 pound bag of baking soda from Costco in just a few months.  Hope you all found something useful for today.

Blessings,
Lisa



Comments

  1. Yes, Lisa, I like the new Tips and Tricks Tuesday logo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to Tip #3 recipe 3, you should never put lemon juice on your teeth because the acid will remove your enamel. I know someone who used to always suck on lemons and they had to have all the teeth replaced because all their enamel was gone from years of sucking on lemons!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment