How to make an Ornament Wreath

I started working on my Christmas wreath yesterday!  I like making my own wreaths each year, but they're usually fresh so I don't keep them.  This year, I decided to make an ornament wreath with the hope of keeping it for next year. I love these ornament wreaths and they are actually so easy to make.  Are you ready to make your own? 



 You'll need just a little bit of time, small ornaments, ribbon, and a wire hanger.  That's it!


I've never found these at the after Christmas sales.  Ornament wreaths are like beautiful eye candy during the holidays, but I never buy Christmas decor before Christmas because the prices are so high.   I'd rather spend my money on my kids' gifts, but I try to hit the sales after for decorations for the following year.

To start, get a wire hanger and shape it by hand or with pliers into a round (wreath) shape.  You'll have to unhook the hanger from itself when you start, but don't loose the hook loop.  I know most of us don't use wire hangers anymore, so look through recent dry cleaning.  It doesn't have to be perfectly round.  No one will notice once it's done.

Add the ornaments through the wire.  (Sorry for the fuzzy pic)  Ornaments have a section at the top to place ribbon or ornament hangers through.  This is perfect for the wire hanger to go through.  I put my ornaments through the straighter side of the hanger rather than the hook side.


I bought my ornaments at the Dollar Tree.  You want smaller ornaments and theirs are both shiny and glittery. Those are two words that should describe our Christmas decorating, I think! I bought six of these packages, but I wish I had just one more to make the wreath a bit more full at the top.


 If you're using different color ornaments, you can lay the wreath down flat on the ground as you're working.   You can arranged a patter to the wreath, but it takes a bit more time.  I just didn't feel the need to have a perfect wreath today.  Instead, I added a gold then red ornament and continued that pattern until I hit the top.  I added just a few green glittery ones at the top to finish it off.


I added the long gold ribbon that I bought last year at Target's after Christmas sale.  See, last year's sale items come in handy.  I made a separate bow and just hot glued it to the ribbon covering the hook of the hanger.

 By the way, I pried the hook down just a bit so that the wreath wouldn't slip off.  It looks like this.


And that's it.  Here's my $6ish dollar wreath.  I LOVE the way it turned out.  I may just may make a few more wreaths to anchor both sides of the garage.  It's time to get festive and decorate the outside of my house.  With three kids, neglect is not an option.


I'd like to see garland around my door way, but my garland box has vanished from last year.  Hopefully, it shows up soon to satisfy the munchkins!

Hope you enjoyed today's post.  May you always be inspired!

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie
Organizing Homelife

Comments

  1. Gosh, yours looks nice! I have to make another one for next year, because mine USED to look nice, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a smart way to do it. :) Stringing them on to a hanger!! Smart!! Looks great!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I can't believe you used a hanger to create the wreath. Stopping by from Somewhat Simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try this myself! I'm your newest follower by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful wreath! Love the gold and red together! You did a great job, and what a great idea to use a hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous Christmas wreath! Would love for you to share on Simple & Sweet Fridays. New Follower.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, thanks for sharing your cute ornament wreath at our Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party! We're so glad you came and hope you'll be back soon! Have a great weekend and thanks so much for linking up! -The Six Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty wreath! Are your balls glass or plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy.
      They are all plastic ornaments from the Dollar Tree.

      Delete
  9. Looks great. I love the idea, thank you for sharing.

    Alicia.
    http://artyandcraftylittlethings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Love all of the colors!
    Stopping by from The Girl Creative!

    PS - I just made a new Christmas wreath for my front door:
    http://makingitfeellikehome.blogspot.com/2012/12/felt-wreath.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing this at my link party! I love wreaths so much, but I didn't think I could make something like this. I do the same thing as you with the children's gifts and buy the decor after Christmas (ideally at least 75% off!). I wouldn't have realized that the wreath would turn out so lush and filled out with this method, I would have thought it would be more like a single row of ornaments. I can't wait to try it!! Thanks so much for sharing. I wonder if this would work with thinner wire and smaller ornaments for mini ones? Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, this is genius! I can not believe it's made with a hanger... I love the way it looks!!
    xo,
    Marcela
    http://tucasablogonline.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I had no idea how easy that was. And it looks gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a super fun idea!! I love it. I hope you link to my party- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2012/12/tuesday-link-party-2.html

    New visitor, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done. I like it and even challenged me could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just logged on to check out your Christmas decorations, expecting beauty and ideas. Thanks for sharing this, such a great idea! Perfect for my condo in Philippines front door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home! Have a very Merry Christmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! I've seen the ornament wreaths but never how to make them. This is a must try.

    I'd love if you linked up at my Show & Tell party this week. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2012/12/show-tell-5.html

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous Lisa!
    Fabulous and affordable idea!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is gorgeous and a great tutorial! I have heard of using a wire wreath but haven't been able find one, I love the idea of using a hanger instead. I would love it if you shared this at my SHOW-licious Craft Showcase party! :)

    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2012/12/show-licious-craft-showcase-12.html

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful wreath! And such a clever idea to use the hanger as the wreath form :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment