Help inspire young artist

Have you seen all the 31 day challenges going on around the blog world?  Wow, there are so many who are blogging for 31 days straight about a particular subject pertaining to their blog.  Good on you, ladies!  I am not quite ready to take on a 31 day blog challenge, but I have been busy at home taking things I already have and making them a little nicer.  Look what I did this week for my kids.


My kids are all artist, but I find that when we put our artistic tools away in a drawer, they are less likely to sit and draw and create.  So I wanted their artistic tools out for easy use, but the only containers we had where these....not very nice, right?




You all know I just love using what I have at home and "reinventing" them for our own unique purpose.  Do you do that too?  To be honest, I haven't always done stuff like this, but lately, I've just realized I'm not going to spend money on the cutesy, pre-made items at craft stores, when I can do a better job here at home for FREE.  I love that price!


Yes, these were actually jars and cans of food that I cleaned out thoroughly.  I'm not a scrap booker, but somewhere along the road I collected scrap book paper.  So I brought that paper out and decided to cover my jars and can and whatever that little white tin thing is????

I rolled my can & jar along the back of the paper, marking where I needed to cut it.


I'm using Mod Podge glue more and more these days.  It dries clear and bonds to everything.  I brushed on the mod podge directly to the can and rolled the paper over it, smoothing out any creases.


Working with the jar was a little trickier since it had those notches for the screw on lid.  I decided to add the twine that I picked up at Home Depot as a decorative element.  Then I got the crazy idea to wrap that little white thing in twine completely.  What do you think?  I think I'm going to have to buy more twine to wrap more jars and cans.


So that was it!  We went from plain jane to colorful artist organizers.  This was a super simple project that took me less than hour; and the best part, it was FREE!  So keep those jars and can.  I have a few other ideas on how you can used them that  I'll be showing you next week.


Have a great day everyone!

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard See

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie

Comments

  1. Very pretty and I love that you used what you had!! I know your artist will appreciate the pretty containers. Enjoy your blog. Katy Lamb

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of them look great, I could always use more of those around and I love that you recycled the cans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, simple and practical like all the best DIY projects.

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute; what a difference a little fabric or jute makes! I have some cans I need to do this with! I would be thrilled if you'd share these at my weekend party!
    http://www.oneartsymama.com/2012/10/shine-on-fridays-49.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls would love this project! I would love to have you stop by 'Or so she says...' today and share some of your great ideas with my readers! The 'Your Great Idea' link party runs every Sat through Tuesday. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute and easy way to keep crayons, pencils and markers in one place! Thanks for sharing.
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up to our Pretty Things party. Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh I love these! So cute, and simple :) I'm gonna have to do this for my son. I can see it now, I could use cow paper, he likes cows Lol :)
    Thanks for sharing, I found you from the Coastal Charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turned out really cute -- I especially like the twine inspiration! Thanks so much for linking on Busy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recycling is one way in helping mother nature. From trash to a fabulous things like these jars. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment