Tips and Tricks Tuesday # 17

Wow, it's the middle of August and school for the kids is right around the corner!  EEEK!  We start on Monday, and no, I am not ready for the school year to begin.  This will be my eighth year homeschooling my kids, and at the end of each summer, I lament its end a bit. Lament. Lament.  Tear. Wipe.

I decided I needed to get my home schooling act together this week (I am after all the teacher). I know, nothing like waiting until the last minute.  The home school mom's meetings and curriculum buying has been getting me motivated again.  I've even been looking at home school rooms to get even more inspired.  More on that later this week.

So if you're new here, every Tuesday I pull together a few tips and tricks from my home, blogland, and pinterest in the hopes you'll find something to help you in your home.  Feel free to look through the past T &T's.

But for today....

Tip 1. Here's a great way to clean your fruits.  Fill you (clean) sink with water and add a cup of vinegar.  Let your fruits soak for 10 minutes and the dirt and wax wash away.  This is a great natural cleaner.

{Source}

Tip 2.  How cute is this?  Add a silk flower to the back of your knobs on a dresser.  It's instantly decorated!  Perfect for a little girls room.

{Source}

Tip 3. Here's another tip for your decorating files.  Most curtains come in 84 inch lengths; the "don't" picture below.  If you go up one size and hang higher, 95 inches and the "do" picture below, you bring an all new look to your room.  I've been implementing this around my house, but not everyone carries the longer sizes.  Think outside the box;  table clothes come in the same sizes as curtains!


Tip 4.  We can always use this last tip.  For some, this may be a review; but for others, this may be their first time getting to know their food.  We're all looking for ways to save money.  When you see your favorite foods on sale, buy! buy! buy! and freeze or store in the pantry.  Here's a list of how long items last in both.


Tip 5.  August if the best time to buy school supplies including computers, summer clothes/ swim suits and flip flops,  and of course garden plants and lawnmowers.  Did you know it's also the best time to buy dehumidifiers?  Apparently, people aren't all that interested in sucking the air out of their rooms on hot August days- go figure.  This leads to the merchants putting them on sale during the month of August.  So if you have little one's who suffer severe winter colds, you might want to think about getting out there and finding your deal.  Happy shopping.
That's it for today.  Hope you all found something you can use to bless your home and those in it.  I'll be back tomorrow to show you my home room/ organizing inspirations.  Have a great day, everyone!

Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style
No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 
Restore Interiors
Tip Junkie

Comments

  1. I'll definately be on a search for the dehumidifier. I have one in my bedroom and need 2 more. thanks for that info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I learned the hard way about buying curtains too short. I just added some fabric to the bottom of mine and it looks pretty good! :)

    I'm a Christian home decor blogger, too! If you'd like to check my blog out, I'd appreciate it. :) Following you on Facebook and Pinterest!

    -Kayla
    http://whateverislovely-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tip about the flower for the dressers, how cute! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa: A great tip about washing fruits and vegetables in the vinegar water. I use vinegar for cleaning counters, but never thought to use it for cleaning food--good idea, and inexpensive, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great tips, I especially liked the one about washing veggies, I'm in the process of canning so this comes in real handy.Also will on the outlook for humidifiers, my sinuses get real dry in winter! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tips...thanks for sharing those!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the curtain idea! Getting ready to hang some in my living room, so the timing is perfect. Visiting from Be Not Weary, and glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool tips. I love the food chart. I can really use that! Thanks! New follower from Musings of an Imperfect Mom http://musingsofanimperfectmom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tips are super helpful! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We loved having you and hope you will come back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great! That silk flower drawer makeover is insanely adorable! -diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here from WLWW linkup.Loved these-and I LOVE the flower idea! thanks! visit me at:

    http://abundantjoy04.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips! The vinegar wash for fruits and veggies will come in very handy -- but I love the flower behind the knobs idea for a little girl's room! thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment