I made a Blog Button... and other proud Olympic moments

There is a process by which we all must go through in order to accomplish a goal, a task, or even a dream.  We set our minds to work at it, set time aside to study it, and take action to do it.  Do you have a dream? A desire you want to see come to fruition in your life?   As little kids, we were encouraged to dream.  Remember this question, "what do you want to be when you grow up?"  In essence, we were told to dream.  Catch a vision and chase it.  As adults, we loose sight of dreaming and hoping sometimes.  We get settled in and can easily become complacent with everyday life, but that is not how we are to live.  We should always be striving toward something, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem.  Will there be difficulty? Of course.  Set backs? Most likely.  Dream stealers?  Possibly.  In all of it, I'm reminded of this verse, "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."  (Col.3:17)

Congratulations Team U.S.A.  You amazed us all!  {Source}
I just love watching the Olympics, but I find a greater pleasure in learning about the stories behind the athletes.  We all know they have worked hard.  For many of them, they've prepared for years for their Olympic moment. They are committed and completely invested with early morning training sessions, top notch coaches, and state of the art equipment.  Sure, most of them are young, blessed with a natural, God-given talent, but do you know about those Olympians who are older, living their dreams beyond youth.  These Olympians defy the odds, and the only thing they share with their younger team mates is their desire to compete and live their dream.  They are all inspiring and here are a few of their stories.
{Source}
 As women, we take on many roles.  For this athlete from Malaysia, Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi is taking multitasking to all new level.  She is a shooter, aiming at a coin sized bulls-eye from 10 meters away.  Many women compete in air rifle, but Mohd Taibi is doing it while she's 8 months pregnant!  She gotten a little flack for competing so late in her pregnancy.  WRONG!  The last thing you want to do is tell a pregnant women what she can and can not do.  You go Mama! Do your thing!

{Source}
Allow me to introduce you to Hamadou Djibo Issaka.  He's making a name for himself in rowing, not because he's won a single race though. In fact, he's come in last in every heat he's participated in, coming in a a full 2:00 minutes after the leader.  In a sports world where every second and 10th and 100th of a second counts, that's a lot of time. But Issaka pressed on and didn't quit.  He finished each race with the crowd cheering him on as if he were crossing the victory line.  In a way, he is.  You see,  Issaka comes from the African country of Niger, where there are no water ways to actually practice his sport; a sport he officially started and began properly practicing  for only three months ago.  In the land locked desert city where he lives, he practiced in a wooden fishing boat.  He didn't even get in a professional "skulling" boat until this week, when he reached London.  He plans to continue rowing and making it to Rio for the 2016 games.  I love his courage and determination to continue.  Go Hamadou!

{Source}
This is Jan Ebeling, originally from Germany, but riding for the U.S.A.  He is 53 and making his Olympic debut!  That's right, at 53, he's going for it. Lesson to learn here- you're never to old to get started!  His beautiful horse is named Rafalca, and though I don't know a thing about the sport of dressage, I will cheer on my countryman while wearing a big, bright hat, and sipping tea. Carry on and Cheerio, I say! (with a really bad English accent.)

{Source}
Then, there's Hiroshi Hoketsu, a Japanese equestrian rider who is making his 3rd Olympic visit, 48 years after his debut in the 1964 Tokyo games where he finish 40th. The obvious lesson is this:  if at first you don't succeed, try again- no matter how long it may take you.   At 71 years, he is the oldest Olympian at the games.  What's even more impressive about Mr. Hoketsu is that he is coming back to the sport he loves after retiring as a successful international businessman and training for the last year apart from his family.  He successfully qualified for the Beijing games 4 years ago and again for London 2012.  Committed? you bet!   He's become pretty popular in Japan and is a poster boy for the elderly. Go Hoketsu Go!

So you see ladies, there's always time to DO SOMETHING.  As long as you have breath, you have time to finish school, change to a new career, come home to be with your kids from a career, write your book, or even start a blog.  I never thought I'd be starting something new like a blog at 38 years old.  There's too much involved and so much to learn...so I made excuses to myself. Then after a year of praying, (yeah, a full year) I read this book by Miles McPherson.


It's not a blog book.  It's a book about the true stories of everyday people who are making a difference in their everyday life.  It's about not settling to cruise through life.  Do Something challenges us as Christians to live out our faith in a way that impacts the lives of others.

I'm a mom- a stay at home, home schooling mom, and pastor's wife. I've been at home for 12 years, and it's easy to get lost in motherhood and cruise a bit.  I know spending these years with my kids is the most important thing I'll do, but it's not easy by any means.  Starting something like a blog came out of my passion for do it yourself projects and living beautifully on a budget.  I had to learn about blogging, html, photo editing, and a whole mess of others things.  I haven't arrived.  Lewisville Love isn't exactly where I want it to be...yet.  I know it's not "important" compared to world events taking place, but it's for moms, to help moms, to encourage moms, and to motivate moms.  I wanted to do something for all the mama's out there, so this is my little contribution.  And I will do it as unto the Lord!
LewisvilleLove



So here's my "Olympic" moment.  I really don't know anything about blog design (as some of you might be able to tell), but I learned something new.  I learned how to create a blog button with an html code.  It's right over there on my side bar and above as a sample.  Blog buttons are used by other bloggers to display on their own blogs.  You can see I've displayed other blog buttons from sites that have featured my work.  For months, making a blog button seemed like something I wouldn't be able to do with out having to pay someone.  The budget side of me said no way, and my patience(and cheapness) paid off.  I found a great tutorial about how to create my own button.    So I'm learning something new and doing something challenging.  Is it gold medal worthy? Not really, but I'll take it.  It's a great place to be!

Have a great week everyone, and GO USA!

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style
No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 
Restore Interiors
Tip 

Comments

  1. Congratulations! I always wanted to be able to do that. Grateful that God allowed two people to give freely so I have them BUT I have always wanted to try to do it myself! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational post! I've been enjoying the Olympics, and I really enjoy hearing the stories of their lives behind the scenes. Many have overcome so much.
    Glad you've joined the world of blogging, and I'm happy to be a new follower.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this encouraging post! I'm no mom but your projects always inspire me to be more creative. And props on making your own blog button. I totally understand the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, thanks for coming by. I really should have said this blog is for women, not just "moms" or for "moms". I just get in my "mom" world sometimes.

      Delete
  4. You're a very inspiring person with alot of talent. Home schooling your kids, that takes alot of dedication and determination. Good for you. Your children will thank you someday for your work with them. Being a pastor's wife isn't the easiet vocation either, you have to make many sacrifices. All these accomplishments show your character and love for Jesus Christ and your family. You are to be commended greatly. We all need a little boost now and then to get off our settled butts and I'm sure one of them. I tend to take the easier route and settle instead of working harder at something I'm not familiar or comfortable with . Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness. It's hard to be courageous sometimes, but we have to start somewhere, right?
      Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your awesome post! What a blessing!
    Last September I picked up the violin. Something I've wanted to do since I was in the fourth grade. I'm almost 49.:) my dad opted for me to play the flute instead. My 11 year old has been taking lessons for almost two years, so I learn with her and have lesson once a month.;) hoping to play fiddle music and worship songs . But I'm in no hurry, patience comes with age.:)
    Just recently, I am learning how to sew doll clothes and sew clothes, so I am learning how on my own. Another " something I've always wanted to do." ;) praise him for the gifts he gives us and the desires, even later in life!! :)
    Lisa Ferschweiler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Lisa! see I love hearing about learning something new, no matter how old we are. I'm sure you're going to be a great violinist!
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  6. Those are really good points, I was really wanting to do more, but I had several children and have been homeschooling for 18 years. Lately, I've had more time and the Internet is such a great way to reach people. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right! What an uplifting post. The last few months I have been preparing my blog and business. It's true, if you persist, persevere, it will be rewarded. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations to you and are the olympics not just wonderful having lots of fun watching them

    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! I think that part of staying young is learning new things. I think that is great that you figures that out on your own! :) I love your post. I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll com by and say hi! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post has inspiring stories and enduring wisdom. Thank you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your button looks awesome! Great job!!

    I love hearing the stories behind the Olympians, too. They are amazing people and have inspired me in many ways. Love it!

    -Kayla
    http://whateverislovely-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa-

    Thanks for introducing me to make-you-smile Olympic stories that I hadn't heard of. I have 3 under 6, so I'm in those mommying trenches, with not enough time for myself or for keeping up with the Olympics. I agree, a blog can be a great outlet, I'm finding that it's something that I do only for myself and it's incredibly rewarding to see all my daily mommy-work online:)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and so helpful!
    I had a heck of a time figuring this out at first - you must feel so successful!
    Thanks for sharing -
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspiring post!! I love. The Olympics so I enjoyed your stories, some I had not heard. I am a newbie blogger and have yet to try making a button. You have inspired me to try! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading your encouraging post. I hadn't realized about the oldest man competing! That's neat. Hope you have a blessed week. (Visiting from OYHT blog hop.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I just found your blog through a blog hop, and I also find it cool to hear stories like this. Makes you think, doesn't it?!

    I'm pretty new at this ol' blogging thing as well. Well, "new" is a relative term. I've had it going for a year and a half, but I'm just really starting to get goinghow. We had some major computer issues, and itleft me in the trenches for about 8 months!

    I also homeschooled our daughter for pre-k, and I have no idea what we are going to do for Kindergarten. Sounds pretty pathetic, doesn't it?! I proved I can do it. Problem is she's lonely beause she's an only child, and there are only a couple of kids on ur street, and they are non existent through the work week. I assume their parents have them in day care, and then will have them in after school programs. We woul have loved for her to have a sibling, however it took almost 10 years for her to be created. God definitely does things in His own timing.

    Add to that, my husband can't seem to get her out of bed in the moring, so how on earth he's going to be able to get her to school on time, is anyone's guess. I do my laps at the Y first thing in the early morning. My husband andI both feel she will get a better education home schooled, However, she also needs the regular, daily, social interraction with other children...hmmm...

    I also don't want someone else teaching my child, I want to teach her, with the Bible being an integral part of that teaching.

    Any words of wisdome would be greatly appreciated.

    Oh, by the way, I just became your newest follower, yay! It would be great if you would follow back!

    Thanks for the inspiration! I really needed that today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'll email you through your blog. Blessings.

      Delete
  17. I am blessed to have you as my personal friend. Ya, I'm bragging. I can't wait till I can come and we can sit at the table with ice coffee and encourage each other in the Lord. Lv, you. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment